Application information for
2017-2018 Newkirk Graduate Student Fellowship Award Opportunity
DEADLINE: June 2, 2017
Through a generous gift of Martha and Jim Newkirk, The UCI Newkirk Center for Science and Society is now soliciting applications from UCI graduate students from all disciplines for graduate student fellowships. We will be accepting fellowship applications in two categories:
- Projects that engage the community with scientific knowledge and research. The most successful proposals will be those in which the community is engaged as a partner in, rather than a recipient of, scientific knowledge production.
- Projects that analyze the production of scientific knowledge and/or technological artifacts and systems. The notions of “scientific knowledge” and “technological artifacts and systems” may be construed broadly (including medicine), and the analysis may be undertaken from any disciplinary perspective.
Awards are up to $10,000 and can be used for tuition, fees, and/or research support. Preference will be given to proposals that are in line with addressing scientific research issues that benefit society.
Newkirk Fellows must meet on a quarterly basis as a cohort to discuss their progress and projects. Mentorship will be provided by the Newkirk Center Director, Advisory Board members, and Faculty Affiliates. Fellows provide a brief report and present their project results/progress at an event at the year’s end.
Applications are welcome from any UCI graduate student and should:
– be no more than 1500 words;
your cv and any references cited do not need to be counted in the 1500 words, i.e., they are in addition to the 1500 words.
– include student’s name, department, advisor’s name and year in graduate school; –include a simple budget indicating how the awards will be used;
– indicate the goals of the student’s research activity and methods that will be used;
– indicate how the research fulfills the mission of the Newkirk Center;
– list any other support you have;
– have your cv attached (this is in addition to the application) and indicate your GPA.
Submit applications to email@example.com by June 2, 2017. Please include your name and email address. Please also include the name and email address of your department’s graduate student coordinator.
Click here for a PDF version of these instructions.
Please email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for list of past awardees and project titles 2010-2013. See menu under ‘Students’ tab above for information on 2014-15 and 2015-6 awardees.